Thursday, February 28, 2008

Jenolan Caves, Australia

User Pays Caving....

Having finished my days canyoning by mid morning, I was looking for other activities to make the most of the day. Driving into Katoomba, I saw ‘The Edge’ big screen movie about the Blue Mountains. Whilst at the cinema, I saw an advert for the Jenolan Caves. Thinking that tourist caving would be the perfect indoors outdoor activity, I embarked on the 1.5hr drive further south west from Katoomba after lunch.

I wasn’t that enthralled about the idea when I saw the prices for the tours, but a quick walk through a grotto into a huge ballroom cavern convinced me to splash out for a trip.

Our tour guide resembled an aged Billy Connelly, but he was very interesting and knowledgeable about the caves and their history.

There were lots of different tours through distinct systems to be done, but I just did the one tour through a cave whose name I cannot remember. It was a very beautiful cave, despite the concrete and tourist handrailling…


No comments: