Saturday, March 15, 2008

Meads Wall Climbing

I had been planning a bit of a Canyoning mission with Don Baken, but unfortunately he called in sick. Fortunately Cindy was after a belay buddy for a bit of climbing. I suggested Meads wall as a good spot and before long we’d organised the trip.

Romaric and Graham made the drive up to Whakapapa too, but since they were both climbing a fair bit harder than Cindy and I, we barely saw them through the day.

One neat thing about Meads wall is that the climbs are generally of two grades “I can” and “I can’t”. So it is a great spot to have a bit of an adventure and practise your route finding skills. Cindy and I lead several pitches each, including a short two pitch trip on the longer part of the wall. Each time we had a bit of fun scrambling our way off the top of the thin volcanic crag.

To conclude the days climbing, I lead a very blocky corner to set up a top rope climb over a harder looking bit of rock.

Back down the Bruce Rd, I paused for a bit of a Canyon Recce to a couple of waterfalls on a stream in full view of the traffic. Despite being relatively nice looking falls, they really didn’t gel nicely into a canyoning trip...

No comments: