Saturday, January 24, 2009

Doubtful River Fishing, Lewis Pass


Made the most of a perfect weather day to take the fly rod for a stroll in Lewis Pass National Reserve.

The Doubtful river was beautiful, clear and low. Durin the day, I saw about a dozen rather large Brown trout, trying unsucessfully to stalk and fool them into eating my fly. Though I didnt hook any, I did get better at spotting the fish, maneuvering to a casting position and dropping the fly in just the right spot.

I tried Nymphs, drys, even pulled out the spinning rod to wave a black and gold toby past thier noses.. Simply weren't hungry.. But they were spooky and on several occaisons during the stalk i'd grind rocks underfoot or flash my fly rod in the sun and they were off...

The moderate breeze did make casting much trickier, but at the end of the day coming home with no fish didn't matter.. the amazing scenery and challenging fish made for a great day.


Confluence of Doubtful and Lewis Rivers


Having a break on the Doubtful River

No comments: