Monday, December 24, 2007

Mt Karioi Tramp

Despite having a fun days surfing the day before, I wasn’t really psyched to go again the next day. I’d spied the track to Mt Karioi as we drove from Raglan out to the secluded surf beach and with a bit of consultation to the little guide book I just happened to bring along, my day’s adventure was decided on.

Borrowing a small raincoat and head torch from my hosts and making use of an early Christmas present (Patagonia polar fleece) I scraped together enough gear to be safe then made my way to the road end.

It was a scorching hot summer’s day and I was glad that I was wearing a white cotton T-shirt. The very property that makes cotton a death trap in cold weather came to my aid in the intense dry heat.

The track times indicated a 6hr return trip to the summit. Since we were celebrating Christmas today and having a big evening meal, I didn’t really have 6hrs to play with... So I put my running shoes into gear and made my best pace along the route.

Initially I climbed through Manuka scrub before emerging to a grassy ridge offering great views out toward the coast. Entering the bush again the track was mostly of good quality and weaved its way upward through the native scrub.

The guide book had promised several steep sections that had things like ladders and chains in place. This was one of the main interest getters for me, so I was quite excited when the first bit of fixed gear came into view. However, it really puzzled me. The route was neither difficult nor exposed; though I guess people without climbing backgrounds may have found it a little interesting.

Further on from the ladder, I encountered the chain. Laying down a very steep slippery gully, the chain was useful on both the ascent and descent. Though a careful tramper could manage without too much worry, it was worth having to reduce the danger.

Not far above the chains, the track branched and offered me a side option to a view point. Sitting down and admiring the views out to Raglan, I eagerly devoured my lunch and swigged a nice big gulp of cordial.

Checking my watch, I saw that I’d halved the track time. Looking to the east, I could see the undulating level ridge that led onwards to the true summit of Mt Karioi. The guidebook was a bit ambivalent as to whether it was really worth continuing on. Since I was well ahead of schedule, the day was so lovely and the walking enjoyable, I elected to continue on.

The final stretch to the summit traversed some interesting boulders on the sharp ridge. Where the track sidled and avoided the ridge, I bouldered up onto the ridge and balanced my way along. There was barely a breath of wind and I loved being up there. At the summit was a radio transmitter, track information and a helipad.

I plonked myself on a rock above the helipad and enjoyed my surroundings. To the north I could see all of Raglan Harbour, to the east Mt Pirongia and to the south Kawhia harbor. What a fantastic day! Spending only a short time at the summit, I retraced my steps quickly back to the car to make a round trip time of 3.5hrs. A fantastic impromptu tramp to a neat area…

No comments: