Sunday, January 10, 2010

Slyvia Falls, Lewis Pass

I'd heard of this Canyon for a while now, but couldn't seem to put together a trip for one reason or another.

However, today, the weather was good, I had a the time and Toine was keen to come along.

We traipsed for about 15 mins from the car, accross the Lewis River and up the true right of Slyvia stream, following social trails that ended up on the canyon rim. Scrambling down to the canyon by a short fixed rope, we suited up and leapt into the canyon.

There were only two raps, both well equipped with handlines and rap stations. There were a few little jumps and scrambles, but the canyon was really really short. 1hr max if you just go straight through. It was rather beautiful though, especially the amphitheatre of Syliva Falls itself.

After rapping Syliva Falls, we scouted around for quite some time, evaluated the pool geometry and then scrambled around and back up to consider jumping the pitch (17m). Toine was the driving force, but it still took him a while to work up to jumping off!

After he successfully leapt the pitch, we both went up to jump again. As soon as I had my chance, i jumped; no worries at all, except for the landing. I didn't hold my arms in as tightly as I should and the water pulled up my left arm and injured my shoulder a little.. Still sore a week later, but its getting better...

An amazing jump, though not for the faint hearted and definately not without thorough scouting of the pool first.


NZ Giant Bush Dragonfly


Chucky enters the slot


R1, 9m

Making a little leap, mid canyon

R2, 17m, Sylvia Falls


Toine jumps from a few meters up to test the boil

No comments: