Saturday, October 30, 2010

Death Road MTB, La Paz, Bolivia

Well, this was one activity I swore that I was not going to do. Anyone who knows me, knows that I´m the worlds biggest wus when it comes to sketchy roads and drivers I don´t trust.

The idea of biking down the worlds most dangerous road wasn´t too bad. I just had to take it at my own pace and try not to let my brake fingers cramp up. But having to endure the ride back up in the hands of the standard maniacal Bolivian driver was what really scared me.

The ride down began on the new road, which was generally well sealed and had guard rails. The most dangerous bit was the erratic traffic! Once we got onto the Death Road proper, the road was gravel, very narrow (only 3m at one point) and with sheer drops of more than 100m followed by very steep terrain a further 600m to the valley below.

We dropped more than 3.5km, from the summit at 4700m to the town of Corioco at 1200m. The ride back up hill was terrifying (for me) but contrary to all expectation, we arrived safely back at the hostel after an "interesting" day out.


At "La Cumbre" the summit of the North Yungas Road.


Good times on the "new road"..


Nice drop offs on the Original Death Road..
(I´m the one right at the back..)
Peering over the edge




1 comment:

Gina and Ben said...

i went down and back up in a local taxi... not feeling safe at all.. but the altitude and flora/fauna change is awesome