Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mt Arthur, Kahurangi NP

Just above the bushline

I had a spare morning in the Nelson area prior to work starting at 2pm.

Weather looked great, so I made an alpine start for the trampers summit of Mt Arthur.

I jogged sections of the first level-ish bit of track through Silver Beech and Mountain Nienie to Mt Arthur Hut. Above the bushline there was a reasonable bit of cool wind, but the skies remained clear.

Which way now?

Mt Arthur, highest bit of plateua on the right..

Puffing my way upwards, I kept an equally careful eye on the track as on my watch. The last little section to the summit had a little firm snow, so I took a steeper but snow free rock spur to the windy summit.

Mt Arthur Summit, 1795m

The view down hill..

Once clear of the slightly exposed rocky karst sections I jogged back to the car, completing the '6-7hr' day walk in 3:45hrs car to car.

No comments: