Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Cross Ck (again) Haast Pass

Ira and I were planning on just driving up the West coast after last nights Opshop/Feelers concert, but when I found out that my friends Brendon, Steph and Paul were in town it would have been a shame to not spend the day with them.




At Brendon's Flat. "Buckle up!" (Always practise safe couch surfing)



I'd told Brendon about Cross Creek, perhaps the most fun canyon i've ever done and he was keen as mustard to join us. I pestered Steph and told her that she needed to come with us and bring her Boyfriend as well. Despite Paul trying to get out of it using feeble excuses like 'there isn't enough gear for everyone' we managed to come up with enough stuff and all were bundled into cars headed off towards Haast Pass.




Steph and Paul, easily conned into accompanying us canyoning



Following Ira's GPS lead, we found the easiest access point about 45mins up the hill. I gave Paul Rappelling 101 as Ira and Brendon Rigged the first drop.



Paul looks a shade nervous on his first ever absiel..



Paul had never absieled before and was a little aphrehensive at first, but to his credit, he did really well through the canyon. As his confidence grew, he began to relax more and enjoy the amazing surrounds. By the time the big jumps arrived, we could hardly hold him back!


Ira enjoys another great jump


I'd contemplated doing the big jump last time with Jethro, but for my second go I knew I really should give it a go. Brendon beat me to it however and was rather pleased with the leap. As Ira pulled the rope down, I was sorta committed. I didn't miss the rocks by a whole lot, but miss them I did.. Great success!!


Steph on rappel


Chucky leaps the penultimate drop


Everyone had a fantastic days canyoning and although the water levels were down, there was still enough to keep it fun.

Ira and I bade farewell to everyone and continued up the west coast to the Glaciers for a looksee.

No comments: